Congress of Southeast Asia Librarians (CONSAL) is the sole regional organization of the libraries, library schools, Library Associations, and related institutions of the ASEAN countries. It was founded in Singapore in 1970 and has ten members which include the library associations and librarians of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
CONSAL holds a general conference every three years in each member country by turn and promotes cooperation among librarians in Southeast Asia Region. CONSAL provides the forum for the librarians and information specialists to strengthen networks, partnerships, and linkages with each other; promotes coordination, collaboration, and provides the platform for sharing and exchange of information and experiences on issues in the fields of librarianship, library and information sciences, documentation, information and related activities in the region.
CONSAL XVII is acting as a leading force in developing strategic relationships, undertaking the collaborative activities, and taking the good advantages for significant opportunities for the libraries in the Region.
- Access and Opportunities for all
- Advocacy (includes discussions on Library Associations)
- Digital Library Management
- Transforming libraries
- New competencies and training for library and information Professionals
- Marketing and Promotion
- Conservation and preservation (includes our ancient manuscripts)
- ASEAN vision and Libraries to include collaboration/educational efforts
- Media and Information Literacy (to include media and social media literacy)
- Strategic Alliances & Partnership
1. Congress Outline
|Wednesday, 2 May 2018
- Executive Board Meeting (exclusive to Executive Board Members)
- Re-registration and New Registration for general conference participants
|Thursday, 3 May 2018
- Opening Ceremony
- General Conference
|Friday, 4 May 2018
- General Conference
- Closing Ceremony
- Gala Dinner
|Saturday, 5 May 2018
- Library and Cultural Visits
The Theme of CONSAL XVII: “Next Generation Libraries: Collaborate and Connect”
The Opening Ceremony Speech given by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi (State Counsellor of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar) followed by ASEAN Anthem and Theme Song from the Local Traditional & Cultural Performance of Myanmar.
The 17th CONSAL held at the Myanmar International Convention Centre (MICC II), Naypyitaw. Which is located on 16 acres of land with 312, 000 square feet in Zabuthiri Township, Naypyitaw. It was built by the People’s Republic of China and completed on 15 March 2010. The MICC has a plenary hall that can accommodate 1900 persons. The MICC building is formed with listening rooms, holding rooms, meeting rooms, VIP summit room, news briefing room, singing room and the 720 person capacity Banquet Hall.
Participants of the 17th CONSAL were attended from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and other countries such as Japan and Australia. There were 12 delegates from Malaysia (UPM, PNM, USM, IMU, Petronas, Perpustakaan Negeri Sabah, and PPM) which 3 of them as an oral presenter.
- Basic Information Literacy License: IMU Experience by Zuhanariah MN; Razman Shah R; Muhammad Hisyamuddin MN. (IMU)
- Challenges Faced by Subject Librarians in an Academic Library and Initiatives towards Overcoming Them by Suzila MK; Azana AH; Samsul Farid S; Aznizultina MN. (UPM)
- Empowering Civil Servants through Media and Information Literacy in Transforming Government Services by Yazid I. (PNM)
The Closing Ceremony of CONSAL XVII remarks by Vice President 1, Republic of the Union of Myanmar. Outstanding Librarian Award (Gold) were given to the Philipines, Ms. Mila Ramos honouring from CONSAL XVII. The ending of the ceremony before the Myanmar Traditional Performance was the conveying of the CONSAL flag to the next host Cambodia 2021. Overall CONSAL XVII were excellence and well handled by the organizer.